Ravish Kumar (born 5 December 1974) is an Indian journalist, author, and media personality. He is the Managing Editor of NDTV India , the Hindi news channel of the NDTV news network and hosts a number of programs including the channel’s flagship weekday show Prime Time, Hum Log and Ravish Ki Report.
Ravish Kumar (visible on stage on the left) speaking during a lecture at University of Chicago Center’s Journalism week in New Delhi
Early life and education
Ravish Kumar was born in Motihari, Bihar on 5 December 1974. His high school education was obtained from Loyola High School (Patna). Later he moved to Delhi for higher studies. He graduated from Deshbandhu College, affiliated to the University of Delhi. Eventually he enrolled in post-graduate diploma in Hindi Journalism from the Indian Institute of Mass Communication.
Awards & Accolades
- Ravish Kumar won the 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award for journalism.
- Ravish Kumar is the first recipient of Gauri Lankesh Award for Journalism, awarded by Gauri Lankesh Memorial Trust.
- Ravish Kumar was honoured with the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award for the Journalist of the Year in 2013 and 2017 for the broadcast category in Hindi language.
- He was honoured with the first Kuldip Nayar journalism award for his contribution to the field of journalism in March 2017..
- He received the prestigious Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Award for Hindi Journalism and Creative Literature for 2010 from the President of India (awarded in 2014).
- He was included in the list of 100 most influential Indians 2016 by The Indian Express.
- He was named the best journalist of the year in 2016 by Mumbai Press Club.
Ravish Kumar is married to Nayana Dasgupta who teaches history at the Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi. He is known for his show Primetime which airs on NDTV. He has been receiving many death threats by the extremists related to some political parties.
- Ishq Mein Shahar Hona
- Dekhate Rahiye
- The Free Voice: On Democracy, Culture and the Nation
- Bolna Hi Hai : Loktantra, Sanskriti Aur Rashtra Ke Bare Mein (in Hindi)