Mehrotra co-founded SanDisk in 1988 and served as President and CEO from 2011 until 2016. He previously served as executive vice president and chief operating officer, senior vice president of engineering, vice president of product development and director of memory design and product engineering.
He has more than 30 years of experience in the non-volatile semiconductor memory industry, including engineering and management positions at SanDisk, Micron, Integrated Device Technology, SEEQ Technology, Intel Corporation and Atmel Corporation.
Following the announcement of Mark Durcan‘s retirement in February 2017, Mehrotra was named chief executive officer. His appointment became effective May 8, 2017, serving as an adviser to the company until early August 2017.
“I chose at that time to go to a college in India and apply again after my second year. This time, I got admission to UC Berkeley. I was not yet 18.
“I went to the US embassy to get my visa and it was denied. I tried again, and was still denied. My father said, ‘We are not going to give up.’ I applied another time and was denied again.
His visa request was rejected three times by the US consulate in New Delhi, after which his father spoke to the counselor and was able to convince him to provide a visa to Sanjay. In an interview with Business Insider, Mehrotra recalls the story as a source of inspiration, “At the end of that 20 minutes, the counselor said, ‘Ok. I’ll give your son a visa.’ I learned from my dad that tenacity is the key to success.”
Mehrotra was awarded his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences by Berkeley. He graduated in 2009 from Stanford University Graduate School of Businesses’ Executive Education Program.
Mehrotra has received the following awards and honors:
- Mehrotra was honored by the American India Foundation for personal philanthropic efforts and for leading SanDisks programs to advance educational opportunities for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds, March 21, 2015.
- Distinguished Lifetime Achievement Award from the Chinese Institute of Engineers USA at the 13th annual Asian American Engineer of the Year Award ceremony March 1, 2014.
- “CEO of the Year from the Entrepreneurs Foundation of Silicon Valley in recognition of his leadership in advancing SanDisks community service activities, December 10, 2013.
- “Distinguished Alumni Award in Electrical Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley, 2013.
- IEEE Reynold B. Johnson Data Storage Device Technology Award (with SanDisk co-founders Ei Harari and Jack Yuan) for leadership in the development and commercialization of Flash electrically erasable programmable read-only memory-based data storage products, 2006.
On April 18, 2014, Mehrotra along with S. Shankar Sastry, Dean and Carlson Professor of Engineering at UC Berkeley, opened the SanDisk Computing Lab College of Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley. The lab was funded by a $1 million donation by SanDisk to the College of Engineering. The donation also funded recently completed renovations to Cory Hall, home of the Colleges Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences.