Anandpur Sahib, also known simply as Anandpur (city of bliss), is a city located in Rupnagar district (Ropar), on the edge of Shivalik Hills in Indian state of Punjab. Situated near the Sutlej River, the city is famous for being one of the most sacred places in Sikhism, where the last two Sikh Gurus stayed for a long time, Guru Teg Bahadur Ji and His successor Guru Gobind Singh Ji. This is the holy place where Guru Gobind Singh Ji founded the Khalsa Panth in 1699. The city of Anandpur is home to Kesgarh Sahib Gurdwara, one of the five Takhts in Sikhism.
The city is famous for being a pilgrimage site in Sikhism and people from different religions also love to visit the city. Anandpur Sahib is the site of the largest annual Sikh gathering and festivities during Hola Mohalla in the starting of spring season.
Anandpur Sahib is found on National Highway 503 that joins Kiratpur Sahib and Chandigarh to Nangal, Una and further Kangra which is in Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. It is situated near the Sutlej river, the longest of the five rivers that flow through the historic crossroads province of Punjab.
Elements convening definitions of the town Anandpur Sahib are : Heterogeneous societies, discrete buildings as economic as well as administrative, social, institutional, political, neighborhoods along with associated personnel, compacted and overlapped packing of residential along with nonresidential structures, monumental core of unique buildings (for example, Keshgarh Sahib Gurudwara), Five Forts of city and Khalsa Heritage Museum, are some of the special characteristic features “City profile” of Anandpur Sahib that shows maximum building height at the centre of the city and less height as one moves away from the city centre, central focus the enshrined centre, whose access was not granted and where Gurudwaras pre-dominated.
• Gurdwara Sisganj: built by King Ranjit Singh to honor the place where Guru Tegh Bahadur’s severed head after his execution in Delhi, was cremated in 1675. Guru Gobind Singh had a platform and holy place built on the site of the cremation. He entrusted an Udasi Sikh named Gurbakhsh to guard this holy place when he left Anandpur in 1705. The Gurdwara was expanded and renovated within the 1970s. This Sikh temple features a pinnacled dome under which lies the sanctum. Around the sanctum there is a 4.5 metres (15 ft) wide circumambulation path with carved marble pillars.
• Gurudwara Bhora Sahib: A three-storey building Gurdwara which was the home of Guru Teg Bahadur. The basement features a room with a 1.5 square metres (16 sq ft) platform that’s 0.5 metres (1 ft 8 in) high, where the 9th Guru used to meditate and compose hymns called Gurbani. It now houses the Guru Granth Sahib, holy book of Sikhs.
• Gurudwara Thara Sahib: A 5 square metres (54 sq ft) platform in front of Damdama Sahib where Bhai Kripa Ram Dutt along with other 16 Kashmiri Pandits sought his help in 1675. They came to look up for protection from Aurangzeb and requested the ninth Guru Teg Bahadur to save them from forcible conversions to Islam by the emperor.
• Gurudwara Akal Bunga Sahib: This Gurdwara is in the opposite direction to Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib. It was constructed by a pujari named Man Singh in 1889. Here Guru Gobind Singh after the cremation of the “head of Guru Teg Bahadur” had delivered a speech after the beheading of his father Guru Teg Bahadur in Delhi by the emperor Aurangzeb.
• Gurudwara Damdama Sahib: is very close to Gurdwara Sisganj Sahib, it shares the compound with Anandpur Bhora Sahib and Thara Sahib, which is famously known as Guru ke Mahal. This Gurdwara remembers the residential area of Guru Tegh Bahadur. He used to welcome Sikh sangats(disciples) who visited him. Guru Gobind Singh was later designated as the tenth guru at this place.